Girl Next Door

Monday, May 22, 2006


Hopelessly Devoted to Grease


I went down to KL on 20th May 2006 to watch “Grease” musical. It was held at the Plenary Hall, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre. In my opinion, the musical was fun, colourful, vibrant and electrifying.

According to my research from Google, Grease is a popular musical made popular by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey in 1972. Few years later, a film version was made in 1978 starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.

Psst… to tell you the truth, I just watched the movie 3 days ago. Yes, that was my first time watching Grease. Unbelievable, right? Well, nothing to be ashamed of considering I was born much later after the movie came out. Ha-ha... Seriously, I think I prefer the movie more.

Thunder Birds

Pink Ladies

Maybe I should hold “Danny and Sandy” dress-up party one of these days and then, all of us can perform the hand jive together. Ha-ha. I think my friends will be more than happy to attend since some of them are Grease fanatic.

Danny

All right, let’s see what the story is about. The musical takes place at Rydell High and the story was based on some of the subcultures of 1950s in the high schools. The themes of the musical includes love, relationship, and to some extent about rebellion. In addition to that, some of the social issues featured in the musical were gang violence and teenage pregnancy.

“Baby boomers and post-baby boomers in their 30s and 40s, people who paid their $3 to see it in 1978, have told me that they can't wait to take their own children to see Grease. College students still pack campus screenings of the film, and teenagers cruising the video stores have discovered the film on their own. The young kids, especially those 5 to 12 years old who have heard about "Grease" from their older siblings, have made it their own favourite,” says one of the commenter.

So, how do I like the musical? Like I mention earlier, the musical was great with its’ famous songs – Grease Lightning, Hopelessly Devoted to You & Summer Love. Oh, not forgetting the hand jive which was quite entertaining and simple to learn. Huh, I can do hand jive now too.

Other than that, there isn’t anything to shout about since the Danny Zuco in the musical is not as charming as John Travolta. Ha ha ha ha … Nevertheless, it will be fun if you go with a bunch of friends where all of you can shout and sing on top of your lungs together. That’s what I did and I had great time with my friends over there. Well, at least I can say that my RM250 was well spent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home